Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Beast

A friend of mine asked if I could quilt the T-shirt quilt that she made for her daughter.  I was hesitant to do it, but agreed.  She had way more confidence in me than I had.  I am always nervous doing something for someone else, especially a quilt that was sentimental.  Well, the quilt quickly earned the name "The Beast" because it was the most difficult quilt I've quilted!  It's a larger quilt, but she left it in 3 segments.  The main problem was that it was soo heavy because it was made with t-shirts, sweatshirts, with old jeans as sashing, and a flannel backing.  It was so heavy and difficult to manage on a normal machine.  I started quilting it with invisible thread, but that wasn't working with the weight of the quilt, so I unpicked what I had done (such a pain!) and started over with a multicolored cotton thread.  I didn't do anything fancy, since the quilt is busy enough, just stippling.  I think it turned out pretty good and I'm sure glad to be done with it :)



Oh, and in case you don't already know, wearing latex surgical gloves is my secret for being able to grip the quilt and move it around when machine quilting...I couldn't do it without them!!

Happy Quilting!!


6 comments:

Disney said...

Whoa....did you do this with a sewing machine, or one of those fancy quilting machines? This is amazing. What a great friend you are!

Live, Love, Craft said...

I love how you said you didn't do anything fancy!! That sure looks fancy to me! I could never pull of something like that! Go you! It looks great!

Crystal said...

Can you get me some latex gloves? :) that's a great idea. It turned out great.

Natalie said...

That's a great tip about the gloves. I will have to try that if I ever machine quilt again.

Tami said...

The Beast turned out beautifully! They are going to love it for sure.

Pandith Markandya said...

Its very interesting while reading it,thank you for posting such a good article.
For astorlogy service contact
Genuine Tantrik in Bangalore