Tuesday, December 15, 2009

RTT - sssssSSSSSNAKE!!!

I wanted a few things for my kiddos Christmas gifts that were handmade.  For some reason, a long stuffed snake popped into my head!  I looked around for some ideas and then came up with these:


I love them!!  I sure hope my kids love them too!  My 4-year old boy has recently switched his obsession from all things scary to all things "cute", so I'm questioning my snake decision ( I just might end up making a smaller "baby" snake for him as well).  But, anyway, I'm smitten with the orange and pink one with a polka dot belly.  I think my 2 year old daughter is going to love her!  The boy snake is made out of fleece on the back, which amazingly resembles snake skin, and soft minky underneath.

So, in case your kids want a giant 60" long snake for Christmas (or anytime!), here's how I made it.




5 FOOT LONG ssssSSSSSSNAKE Tutorial

supplies needed: 1/4 yard of top fabric (I used fleece) , 1/4 yard of coordinating bottom fabric (minky, flannnel, fleece), yellow scrap fabric, black scrap fabric, red scrap fabric, white scrap fabric, stuffing, jingle bells, sewing essentials (machine, thread, needle, scissors, etc).

1.) Cut out snake shape from top fabric (fleece works best).  Use the snake head shape to cut out the head and beginning of neck.  The snake will run the width of the fabric (which is 60" with fleece).  Fold fabric in half length-wise to continue cutting snake shape.  From neck, continue cutting snake out, gradually getting larger in the middle and narrowing down toward the tail.



2.) Make the snake's eyes.  Using the yellow scrap fabric (again, fleece works well.  If you use a thinner fabric you may want to iron some interfacing to it to make it sturdier) cut out two circles, each approx 2" in diameter.  Then cut out two of the "pupil" shapes from black scrap fabric (I used leather for this).  Sew on the black "pupil" to the yellow eye.  Do this for both eyes.

3.) Sew eyes on to snake head.  Position them about halfway down head.  Sew around eye stopping about 1" from where you started.  I used a blanket stitch or applique stitch.  Leaving your needle in the fabric, put stuffing in the eye to poof it up, then continue sewing the rest of the eye on.  The top part of the eye doesn't have to be pretty b/c it will be covered by the eyelid.  The snake will look pretty silly right now, don't worry he'll look much better with eyelids!


4.) Eyelids.  From the top fabric, cut out two circles, each approx 2 1/2" wide (these need to be a little wider than you cut your eyes out to be).  Fold the circles in half and place them on top of the eyes.  It will cover the top half of the eye.  Sew these on top of eye, stretching as necessary.  Make sure to secure the ends well.  You can snip any extra fabric there may be after stitching it down.


5.) Nostrils.  Cut out two small circles out of top fabric.  Fold in half.  With straight side towards front of snake, stictch nostril down.  When stitching down, you will want to scrunch it together a bit under your sewing machine foot to make it stand up a bit as a "nostril".  I hope that makes sense, i'm having a hard time explaining, sorry!  Do this for both nostrils.


6.)  Tongue.  On red scrap fabric, with right sides together,  sew a forked tongue shape.  Make it simple so you can turn it right side out easily.  Turn right side out and iron.  Sew it on to snake head like this: 


7.) Fangs.  On white scrap fabric (I used pleather) sew fangs.  These are too tiny to turn right side out, so i just cut them out and left the stitching visible.  I've found that fangs look best if they are kept rather small.  If they are too large, you may need to place a stitch in them at the end to keep them laying flat. Sew fangs on both sides of snake head like this:


8.) Now all the hard work is done!  Take the top of the snake and lay it down on your bottom fabric right sides together (I used fleece, minky, and flannel for the 3 snakes I made).  Pin snake to bottom fabric.  Sew together leaving a 3-4" hole in one side of snake approximately half-way down snake (you'll want the hole about 1/2 down to make stuffing the snake easier).  Cut excess fabric off after sewing together, but leave it wider where your hole is for stitching it up later.  Clip any curves or corners on head.  Turn right side out.


9.) Stuff the snake!!  I used this stuffing and a dowel rod to really get him stuffed!  Oh, and if you want to add a little spunk to your snake, throw a few jingle bells down in his tail to make him rattle!

10.) Using matching thread or invisible thread, stitch up hole on side of snake with small, uniform stitches.  Make sure to secure ends of stitching.  And you're done!!!


These snakes are super cute!!  They are sure to be any little kid's new best friend!   Have fun with them...use funky fabrics, make them accessories (like a hairbow if it's a girl snake), customize them to your kids likings....do whatever!!  If you use this tutorial I would LOVE to see what you make!  Feel free to email me with any questions too! 


If you love the snakes, but don't want to bother making one, check them out at our ETSY shop!


Happy Holidayssssssssssss!!!












BCD Show and tell


giveaways

24 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow those are great! I LOVE the eyes!

Jingle said...

Wow! You did an amazing job with the heads/faces! Those look fantastic!

Melissa said...

Ok this is too weird but my 4 yr old son just asked me this morning if he could get a big stuffed snake for Christmas...now I am definitely going to have to make one of these! LOL Thanks!

tinahead81 said...

those are awesome!! i def need to practice my sewing a little before i attempt one of these!! it will def be on my to do list though!!

Bridget said...

Your snakes are awesome!! I want to smack you though for adding more things to my to-sew list, I have to make 4 of these right now :). Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

Wow, these are SUPER cute! You are one clever lady! I also LOVE how you did the eyes too!

Recaptured Charm said...

WoW that turned out brilliant!

creativejewishmom said...

great project, your kids will love them! check out my blog for lots of no-sew fleece ideas this week!
http://www.creativejewishmom.com

Charity said...

I can't wait to make these for my nephews. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Jess said...

How fun!

Katie Ann said...

Those are really scary! I have 4 brothers, I bet they would really like them!

Maiden Jane said...

Very cute! My 10 yo son is learning to sew and this would be a good joint project! Thanks for sharing!

Bettina Groh said...

My daughter... now aged 34.. had an invisible snake for a friend when she was 2. Her daughter is following in her footsteps... she LOVES snakes. Guess what Granny will be making?

Fun Family Tips said...

Wow! So talented! My Little Man will love this! I've linked:
http://www.funfamilytips.com/?p=813

seven thirty three said...

My son would love this - absolutley adorable! Thanks for linking up today.

Bird said...

Very scary snakes, my boy would love it!! :)

Tiffany Meagan said...

It took me FOREVER to Re-find this tute!! I almost was in a panic.. I have been looking at a whole bunch of different snake ideas BUT this one is my FAV!

So glad I found it again :D

Thanks!

Amie said...

I LOVE this! I just finished one and I am going to be making another one very soon. Thanks for posting! :)

Mama Rose said...

thank you so, so, so, so much! I just finished up my first and plan on making many more for christmas!

chibified kitsunes said...

Thank you so much for this!! :)
I'm making a giant snake plush at the moment so this really helped!!

By the way, would you recommend using stuffing or bean bag beans for a snake plush?

Unknown said...

I can't do this.... To difficult. -_- do you sell these? I'm better off buying one...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Could I buy one? Just wondering