Tuesday, January 5, 2010

RTT - Another Ruffle Shirt Tutorial

Here's another entry for the El Cheap-O Shirt Challenge.  I found this cream colored long-sleeved thermal shirt at the Dollar Tree and of course I just had to buy it b/c it was only a buck!


  I decided to give it some ruffles similar to a shirt of my own.  Here's what I came up with:


And here's how you can make one too:


Ruffle Shirt Tutorial

supplies: shirt, scrap knit fabric, buttons, sewing essentials (machine, thread, etc)
1.) Cut a 2" strip from the width of your knit fabric.  Knit fabric works best b/c you don't need to finish the edge and it won't fray.


2.) Gather this strip.  I like to put my machine on the highest stitch length and highest tension, this will automatically gather it for you and you can adjust as needed.  Stitch close to one side of the length of the strip.


3.)  Pin center of ruffle to back of neck.  Continue pinning ruffle around collar of t-shirt and curve down onto front of shirt.  Leave about a 1-2" space in between ruffles on front of shirt.

4.)  Stitch ruffle on to shirt.  It works best to use a stretch stitch or zig-zag stitch on this part since it will still need to stretch over child's head.


5.) Cut out approx. 11" x 3 1/2" rectangle out of knit fabric.


6.) Gather the rectangle by sewing straight down the center length-wise and gathering the same way you did with the ruffle. Gather rectangle until it fits right under the collar and ends where the other gathered strip ends.


7.)  Sew rectangle ruffle down the center to the shirt.


8.) Sew on buttons.  You can go crazy here if you want.  I just did 3 buttons, but I think it would be fun to add a random assortment of a similar color.


You're done!  If you try out this tutorial, I would love to see a picture of your finished product...please email me or add it to the "El Cheap-O Shirt Challenge" MckLinky party...thanks!

  Here are some out-takes from the photoshoot with my little model...she actually wanted to have
her picture taken this time!











The Girl Creative



BCD Show and tell




giveaways

14 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That is so darling and ruffly!!!

Trisha said...

Love how you take a dollar shirt and make it look like a million bucks, great job!!!

Disney said...

Ack!! Good grief, that's cute! I adore it!

A.Pandina said...

That looks so easy, here's my vow to try it...now I get to go cheap-o shopping!

Amnah said...

That's adorable. I like how it comes around the neck My daughter has stained so many shirts that I can use to create this. Cut around the stains and cover over them! Ha!

Dawn said...

That came out adorable! Great idea and thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

Love what you did with that shirt! It looks so cute and expensive! : ) Nice job!

avisiontoremember said...

I love the challenge Idea! I just might have to try something to link up to you....

Becca said...

Love it Lynette!!!! YOu did it again!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

darling!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

how do you think of all these creations?!

MediMonsters said...

Such a cute project and model!! TFS

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

I LOVE this shirt! I need to make one for Serenity! Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial on Thursday's Treasures!

spinndiva said...

Love this idea! (I can't go past a cheap-o-shirt either!!!!
I will see what I can come up with and I also shared the link with the ladies from Ruby Magazine! Let's see how many I can get on board!
(Ruby mag. in case you were interested:
http://magazineruby.wordpress.com/ )