Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ribbon Flower Headband TUTORIAL

Here is the tutorial that I did for a blog swap with MaryJanes and Golashes last week.  I saw a headband similar to this one at Wally World and decided to recreate it at home.  I think it's super cute for a little girl, or also super fun for 'big' girl.   I'm totally obsessed with hair accessories lately...can you tell?   
If you try it out, I'd love to hear from you!


Ribbon Flower Headband Tutorial
 Supplies: 1/2"-1" wide ribbon, headband, felt, glue gun, sewing essentials (sewing machine, thread, etc)

*The size of the flower can obviously be adjusted depending on how long you cut the ribbon and make the felt circles.
1.) Cut ribbon about 1- 1 1/2 yards long.

2.)  Cut out two circles approximately 2" in diameter.

3.) Gather your ribbon on your sewing machine.  I like to make the tension on my sewing machine as tight as I can and the stitch length at the longest. Sew all the way down one side of the ribbon.  It will start curling up as you sew.  It will be a big curly ball when you're done, like this:
4.)  Now you're going to glue this gathered ribbon to one felt circle.  Start by folding one end of the ribbon back at a 90 degree angle.  Place an inch or so of hot glue at a time around the outside perimeter of the felt circle.  Starting with the end you just folded back, place the ribbon on the hot glue so the side that was gathered on the sewing machine is being stuck to the hot glue.  Continue doing this inch by inch around the felt circle gradually working your way towards the middle.  When you make your way all the way around the circle once, just keep going but place the glue just below the existing ribbon.  Keep doing this all the way to the middle.  You will need to untwist your ribbon as you go.  

5.) Once you've gotten to the middle, you'll need to secure the last bit of ribbon.  If it is too long, you can trim it as necessary.  With the remaining ribbon, fold the end down at a 90 degree angle, then roll the ribbon as much as you can towards the felt base.  Place some hot glue at the center of the flower and stick the rolled ribbon down to it.  

6.) You can leave it like this or add a button or jewel to the middle.  Or you can also add other jewels, buttons, tulle, or netting to it too!


7.) Attach it to the headband.  Place an inch or so of hot glue on one side of the headband and stick the flower to it.  Take your other felt circle and hot glue it to the back of the flower, enclosing the headband between the two felt circles.  
And you're done!

22 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That's a great tutorial!! :) With the gathering, is it just a straight stitch on a really small size? Sorry, I am a sewing rookie. ;)

CourtneyKeb said...

I'm so into hair accessories right now too! I've been flower clip crafting for a week now, and this is a new idea for me! Thanks so much, they came out adorable!!

Jinny Newlin said...

Just a little hint I've found... With double-stitched ribbon, you don't even have to use your machine. You can just pull the thread, that is already part of the ribbon, on one side... Might give you a little more time for more cute outfits for your adorable little one :).

Unknown said...

I saw your tutorial first over at Mary Janes and Galoshes and whipped some up on Sunday. So adorable and easy!
http://cuteasafox.blogspot.com/2010/03/pleated-ribbon-rosette-headbands.html

Mine weren't coming out as large as yours, maybe I'll experiment with some 1" ribbon.
Thanks for the tutorial!!

Laura said...

This is so cute. I am going to try this tonight!

Kari Sweeten said...

Lynette,
This flower is GORGEOUS!! I'll be featuring!

Synergy Girl said...

Hooray...!! I bought a whole bunch of ribbon...not knowing what I could do with it...!! THIS IS IT!!!

Anonymous said...

I did this same exact tutorial on my blog last Tuesday! How funny! Creative minds think alike!!

Jill and Jodie said...

This is VERY cute! Did you know you can acheive the same technique by just pulling on the white thread in that grosgrain ribbon? No sewing required! It will curl up just by pulling on the stitch in the ribbon. Just thought I'd share that success!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Coming to visit from U Create. Adorable! Thanks for the tutorial, these are totally going on some spring bags!

Emily said...

So pretty! I'm excited to try it and hope it turns out at least half as cute as yours!

JeolsliesMomma said...

So cute! I can't wait to try this, my girls need more hair accesories.

ificould said...

I love this tutorial - so cute! Loved it so much I featured it on my blog: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/03/ribbon-flower-headband.html

Here's a button if you want to show you were featured: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/p/featured-sites.html

Love you blog!
Missy

missDDT said...

OMG...My eyes are crossing - I don't know which headband tutorial to begin with! I love them ALL and I am sooo ready to make one today!

Great job Lynette!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial. I make mine differently, this one seems easier. The flowers are super cute. How cool. Usually you don't see tutorial on flowers...like it is a big secret....Lovely blog. Following you now. Come see my blog and let's be friends. :)
Frenchy
www.lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

Mama Bear said...

Love this tutorial! So easy and fun, I can't wait to make many more. I posted a link to this post on my blog, check it out http://cookiescraftsandnaps.blogspot.com/2010/03/cute-easy-flower-clips.html

Thanks for posting!

Cossebooms said...

Love, love this flower!! For some reason I could get it to curl up when I stitched it with my machine. So I hand stitched it and followed the rest of the tutorial. It turned out so cute!

Amazing Flower said...

nice creation. it looks cute even in a black color.

Love from international flower delivery :)

Waseem said...

idea is stunning...You make the tutorial easy to follow.

Send Flowers To Pakistan From Australia
Send Flowers To Pakistan From Australia
Send Flowers To Pakistan From Australia

online florist said...

You always can publish something absorbing that does not waste minutes of your life like what you see on countless other sites. This is very interesting and I will be back for more. Thanks for sharing
florist

Unknown said...

Such a brilliant idea and beautiful headband! Super cute! :)
DIY Flower Headbands are really awesome and full of fun!

Floraison Flowers said...

Thanks for sharing the information with us. Keep on updating us regularly.
Florist Hawthorn
Florist Richmond