Friday, December 17, 2010

Pennant Banner Tutorial

Remember this banner?

Well, I decided I needed a Christmas version as well. Then I decided everyone in my family needed one too...so I made 12! They're quick and easy to make...and pretty cute (this one would be cuter, if I had ironed it before hanging it up...oops!).


Here's a tutorial on how to make one for yourself. You can make one for anything! I think a "Happy Birthday" banner is next up on my list.




Pennant Banner Tutorial

Materials Needed: fabric, felt, Wonder Under, x-large ric rac or binding, sewing basics (sewing machine, thread, scissors, etc.), glue gun and glue sticks


1.) Cut 9” squares out of selected fabric(s). Each square will give you 2 triangles. Cut enough squares to yield enough triangles for your banner’s saying.

2.) Cut square in half diagonally. Then cut across one more time to make the base of the triangle, leaving both long sides of equal length.

3.) For the words, print out saying in desired font and size on computer. Print out in mirror image if possible. If the letters are not mirror image, you will want to trace letters onto the Wonder Under from the backside of your print out (letters will be backwards).

4.) Trace letters onto paper side of Wonder Under.

5.) Following Wonder Under instructions, iron Wonder Under onto wrong side of fabric/felt.

6.) Cut out letters.

7.) Peel off paper backing and iron letters onto triangles. Letters should be placed so the triangle base is at the top.

8.) Sew or glue triangles onto ric rac or binding, making sure to overlap triangle bases 2” at the top.

9.) You can fold over ric rac or binding a few inches at the beginning and end of banner to make a little “tab” to hang banner.

10.) You can use spray starch on your banner to stiffen the fabric slightly.



2 comments:

Sheila Marti said...

Yay! I was hoping for a tutorial on this and I'm definitely going to be attempting a "Happy Birthday" banner. Thank You for the entry and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Ange said...

Whoa! I think I found my January craft project!