Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tutorial - Sewing Machine Quilt


This is a fun little quilting project with quick results! It's your sewing machine's very own quilt! Put your sewing machine on top of it and have all your sewing tools right there for you in the handy little pockets! I like to keep my snippy scissors (is there a real name for those?), my seam ripper, and my little screwdriver in there...you never know when you might need one of those! So, here's how you make it:

Materials:
fabric for main quilt piece (cotton or flannel) - 1/2 yard
fabric for pocket - 18"x8"
fabric for binding
batting or fleece - 18"x20" and 18"x4"
spray baste or pins
sewing tools: machine, thread, iron, etc.

*note: the finished sewing machine quilt is approximately 18"x20", which works perfect for my sewing machine. Check your sewing machine before making this to make sure those dimensions work for you!


1.) Cut out pieces:
*main piece - cut (2) 18"x20"
*pocket - cut (1) 18"x8"
*batting/fleece - cut (1) 18"x20" and (1) 18"x4"



2.) Using basting spray (you can use pins if you want), baste together the main quilt piece. Also use the spray for the pocket.
Fold the pocket piece in half lengthwise and iron. Put 18"x4" batting/fleece piece in between and baste in place.
Baste wrong side of main pieces to both sides of batting/fleece piece.



3.) Quilt the main piece. Then quilt the pocket. I quilted a basic grid, but you can do whatever you want here! Stippling or some cute free motion quilting would be fun!

Here are both pieces all quilted.


4.) Make the binding. With the fabric you have for the binding, cut it into 2 1/2" strips (2 strips). Make a binding...I use this method, but you can do it differently if you want. If you don't want to do any hand sewing, you can make a double fold binding and machine sew it on.
Sew binding on the top of pocket.


5.) Once the binding is sewn on the top of the pocket, place the pocket in place on the little quilt. Then sew close to the edge around the bottom and sides of the pocket to keep it in place on the quilt (this stitching will be hidden once we bind the whole thing).

Now sew vertical lines on the pocket to make smaller pocket sections. You can make these however big/small you want. You may want to make one big enough for your scissors! Mine are 5", 5", 8". Make sure to back-stitch a few times right before the binding at the top of the pocket.


6.) You're almost done! Use the rest of the binding to sew it around the entire quilt. Again, I like to sew it on with a machine and miter the corners and then flip the binding over to the back to sew on by hand.

You're done!!! Look how cute and comfy your sewing machine looks! Happy Sewing!!!





27 comments:

Sarah J. said...

I love this idea! I hope you don't mind if I feature it! :) You have some amazing ideas!

Kari Sweeten said...

Lynette,
This is GENIUS and you are so creative!! I will totally be featuring!

DeeDee said...

Just love your ideas..and so wish you would make it so we could follow your blog... I would love to send others to see your works too...thanks for the tutuorial

Unknown said...

This is totally amazing! Not only do I need one but I'm thinking my mother and mother-in-law need one as well for Christmas!

Maureen F. said...

That is really cute !! thanks for sharing your project

Jaclyn said...

Great idea! Now I have to add another project to my "to do" list! I had no idea there was such a thing as "Basting Spray". I will be getting some because I HATE pinning stuff!

Anne said...

This is so cute!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-catch-all-quilt-for-your-sewing-machine/2009/08/13/
--Anne

Ashley said...

How did I not know about quilt basting spray! Maybe that will inspire me to make a quilt now ;) Great job on your craft/sewing room! I love how it all goes together. Mine is starting to look like a "junk" room.

Elle said...

i found your blog from Ucreate and i just have to say that this is such a great idea! thanks for coming up with this!

Gretchen said...

What a great idea! I'm always searching for my scissors or the correct presser foot or something else when I'm at my machine so a place to keep them all handy would be wonderful.

Jackie said...

This is super cute! I will definitely have to try this! And the fabric you used is cute as well.

Sherri said...

I love these!!! And I made 5 of them for a sewing swap I am in.

Rowanmayfairs said...

I love this idea !!

Too bad I have a 2yr old ..Its hard enough to keep her out of my chair and playing with stuff on my desk !

This would be an open invitation for her..

But it is adorable and never seen anything like it before !

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

I had seen your quilt for your machine, but I didn't know you made a tutorial for it! Fabulous! I've wanted to make one, so I'm excited to have instructions for them! I totally need a "snippy" pair of scissors attached to my machine! :) Thanks!

Us Simple Girls said...

I just found your blog and LOVE LOVE LOVE all your great ideas, especially this one! Thanks for sharing!!!
Sarai (from Three Simple Girls)

Bonnie said...

This is so awesome! I love it:)

glor said...

This is so great and so happy!!! Thanks for such great ideas.

Stitchnmom said...

I so need to make one of these!!! Thanks for sharing!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

This is brilliant! I loved this when I first saw it posted!

Thanks for linking! : )

Artediella said...

Bellissima idea,molto utile .grazie per il tutorial.Ciao mariella

Missy Shay said...

I love your sewing machine quilt! I'm a novice sewer and I have a question, do the items in the pockets right there ever get in your way? I'm thinking of making one for myself, but I'm a bit of a klutz!

Unknown said...

wow che idea meravigliosa grazie :))))
Bacio Roberta

Adeela said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I just made a sewing room and a place to put my machine not on and off the dining room table like before. Can`t wait to make one. And you have the exact same sewing machine I have ^__^.

Antonella said...

Wow, what a great idea! Thank you so much (I'll do it!) and greeting.
Antonella

Glinda ♥ said...

I have just made one ... thank you sooooooooooooo much for this tute ;)

Can't wait to show it off at my quilting class at the end of the month, thanks.

http://glindaquilts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/tired-teddy.html

Unknown said...

wow..it's so creative...

Sam said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I have made two this weekend, one for me and one for a present. Fab idea, I am always losing my scissors, stitch unpicker etc when sewing so now I will know where to find them!